CW150 Events Planning Guide
A successful special event requires careful consideration and planning. If done correctly, planning a special event can be a fun and rewarding experience. To aid you on your quest for the perfect special event, this publication will cover the nuts and bolts involved in planning any special event as well as some specific information about a Civil War sesquicentennial event.
Civil War Highway Signing Program
The Missouri Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission in cooperation with the Missouri Department of Transportation is promoting a Civil War commemorative signing program to identify significant Civil War sites along Missouri’s state highway system. The program is intended to boost cultural tourism throughout the state while allowing a means to educate Missouri residents and visitors to the important role Missouri played during the Civil War.
The signing program uses a single graphic (see below) to denote these Civil War sites:
To qualify, sites must meet certain criteria for significance, public accessibility and in some instances, visitation. Qualified sites will be able to choose from six different programs -- both long-term and short-term.
Communities, sites and institutions are provided a number of ways to purchase signs, including participating in signing programs designed for:
- sites that want signage for the duration of the sesquicentennial and lack existing signage;
- sites that want to promote visitation and are located off of intersections that aren’t controlled by interchange ramps;
- sites that want to provide guidance to motorists and are located off intersections controlled by interchange ramps;
- communities or entities that want to link a series of sites in an auto tour;
- locations that have existing Civil War oriented highway signage.
Entities wanting to apply for Civil War signing must complete the application and e-mail it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Alternatively, you can also snail mail it to MO Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission, C/O Missouri DNR, P.O. Box 176, Jefferson City, MO, 65101.